RASH FIELD CAFÉ – MURAL PROJECT
Art Project Opportunity:
The Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts (BOPA) in collaboration with Waterfront Partnership of Baltimore (WPOB) seek to commission professional visual artist to produce unique, original mural artwork designs for implementation in the new Rash Field Café at Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. This commission of requires that sketch, mockup and final design digital image submissions of artwork for fabrication are original artworks that meet the design criteria of BOPA.
This opportunity is open to emerging and professional artists residing in the City of Baltimore. Employees of BOPA and WPOB are not eligible to apply.
Scope of Work for painted interior wall artwork:
· BOPA will solicit art design proposals from qualified artists for the Rash Filed Café Mural Project. A panel of project stakeholders will select an artist finalist to prepare a final art design for implementation in the Café interior.
· Applicants submit art design concept proposals that meet the design criteria set forth in this RFP.
· Commissioned artists participate in multiple rounds of design development to provide revisions to the project stakeholders before final artwork is approved. Sketch, mockup and final design digital image submissions of art works for fabrication meet the design criteria of BOPA and WPOB.
· Commissioned artists are required to provide the final, approved artwork designs in a digital format that meets the technical specifications of BOPA and WPOB.
· Commissioned artists design and implement an interior wall painted mural at Rash Field Café.
The purpose of the Art Projects is to improve the appearance of an area, raise the profile and awareness of the Rash Field Cafe. The commissioned artwork should include and reflect the following elements/themes:
· Beauty of surrounding landscape (Inner Harbor)
· Maryland/Baltimore pride and culture
· The brightness and potential of our hometown
The inclusion of artwork in public places increases quality of life in Baltimore’s dynamic communities celebrates local artists and promotes accessibility to the arts.
The selected artist / artist team will receive a commission of $17,000.00 The funding is inclusive of all artist fees including assistants, material supplies costs, equipment rentals, installation and site work expenses, digital file formatting services, and taxes. Artist payments will be administered in phases as deliverables are met.
Art Design Guidelines
• Artists are encouraged to develop designs that highlight the beauty and unique features of Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, celebrate community pride and/or feature highlights of iconic or important local Baltimore histories. Additionally, designs may be considered that highlight the park's features, especially that of the of Adventure play, Nature play, vitsa, and skateboarding area
• Art designs must be clear, simple, affirming, identifiable, or recognizable forms that generally evoke positivity and are universally understood by both youth and adults.
• Imagery must avoid violence, criminal or sexual activity, racist or religious symbolism. Imagery of suffering or death should be excluded.
• Artists should consider the limited timeframe and project budget. The artwork must be of a nature that can be displayed by a public entity for the enjoyment of a diverse, family-type audience
Please to the application link at (link), each application must include the following:
· Artist Contact information (Name, Address, Email, Telephone)
· A color image or images of the proposed artwork with a description of the piece, materials and installation method
· A short description of why the proposed artwork meets the goals of this Call to Art (100 words or less)
· CV or Current Resume, including name, address, phone number, email address and website for all members of the team
· Description of previous mural installations, including color digital images of previous relevant work with annotated image descriptions. JPEG format preferred for previous artwork samples (Please label: Last name, First name, Maximum 5 work Samples)
· All digital works must be in jpg, png or pdf format. Digital work should be sent in a file no less than 300 dpi.
Overview of the Rash Field Cafe:
Rash Field Café, developed by the Waterfront Partnership of Baltimore, is sited on Rash Field at 300 Key Highway, Baltimore, MD 21202. The Café is the centerpiece of the southwest inner harbor promenade and serves as a visitor center for tourists and residents. The park was developed with much input from surrounding neighborhoods and aims to be a play destination for Baltimoreans of all-ages.
September - October
· Call to Artists opens September 17, 2021
· Deadline for Submissions – October 15, 2021
· Selection and notification to artists – October 22, 2021
October – November
· Art Design Development - late October
· Equipment & Supplies Procurement - early November
· Art Implementation - starting November 15, 2021
· Deadline for completed artwork – November 30, 2021
Commission Award to Selected Artist for Procurement of Material Supplies, Installation Costs and Artist Fees
Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
-Quality of proposal
-Visual and technical sophistication
-Proven experience completing projects on time and on budget
-Experience producing artwork for a highly visible public environment
-Art concept design proposal meets RFP design criteria
All applicants will be notified of the Artist Selection Panels decision by October 22, 2021. The Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts and the Waterfront Partnership of Baltimore reserve the right not to select any of the applicants.
All applications must be received by 5:00 pm, October 15, 2021
We’re here to help!
We are happy to help to answer any questions about the application process.
For any inquires related to the call or artist selection process please contact:
Lou Joseph, Project Manager
Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts
For technical assistance with logging into or navigating Submittable.com please see:
TO APPLY, begin by setting up your free Submittable account. See below
BALTIMORE OPEN STUDIO TOUR WEEKEND 2023
The Baltimore Office of Promotion & the Arts (BOPA) is proud to announce our 35th Annual Open Studio Tour (OST):
Saturday, May 6, 2023, 10AM – 6PM
Sunday, May 7, 2023, 10AM – 6PM
An annual city-wide event, Baltimore Open Studio Tour has brought together professional artists and the general public, giving art lovers, students, art collectors, and creative influencers the opportunity to visit, meet, engage, purchase, and get a glimpse into the world and studios of some of Baltimore City’s most vibrant artists.
Each year OST attendees travel from all across Maryland and the Mid-Atlantic region to visit the studios of artists in Baltimore to see their work and step into their working processes. Set your art up, open your studio doors, and welcome all on May 6th and 7th, to get an inside glimpse into your studio practice and art process. OST Weekend is the perfect opportunity to share your work and engage with the public.
APPLICATION OPEN: Monday, January 30, 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, March 12, 2023
OST PARTICIPANT NOTIFICATION: Friday, March 31, 2023
OST RUNS: Saturday, May 6, & Sunday, May 7, 2023
This program is made possible with the generous support of the Maryland State Arts Council (MSAC).
ELIGIBILITY: All fine, visual, and performance artists with studios within the Baltimore City limits are eligible to participate.
School 33 and Bromo Seltzer Arts Tower Residents:
Current School 33 and Bromo Seltzer Arts Tower Members: $0.00 - *Please email our Public Art and Curation Manager, Kirk Shannon-Butts at KSButts@promotionandarts.org for registration information.*
Studio Building Registrations:
5 or more Studio Artists: $40.00 Each - *One Payment*
*If individual artists in studio building want individual representation, they will have to pay the separate individual artist fee of $45.00.*
Makerspaces/Community Spaces/Nonprofit Arts or Education Spaces:
•Digital Media Press Kit.
•Digital Promotional Assets.
• 50 Palm Cards.
• 2 Yard Signs.
• Inclusion in Digital Assets.
• Digital Flyer for Your Social Media Platforms.
• Name, Address, Studio Hours, Website, and Sample Image(s) included in Online Map, BOPA Website, and BOPA Social Media Platforms.
1. Participating artists' studio must be located in Baltimore City.
2. Artists' studios are required to open their studios on both days, Saturday and Sunday.
• All information about your studio (location, open hours, website, social media, etc.) will be available our website at www.promotionandarts.org. The site features a map with details for each participating artist and will remain live for one year.
BALTIMORE OPEN STUDIO TOUR WEEKEND 2023 INFORMATION SESSION:
General Information Session (via Zoom)
Tuesday, February 15th 2023 at 6:00PM - 7:30PM
Register in advance for this meeting:
DEADLINE: SUNDAY, March 12th, 2023, 11:59PM
BOPA will publicize this event to the media, local press, and news agencies. We encourage OST artists to send out invitations, distribute OST postcards (provided by BOPA), engage your mailing lists, and activate all social media platforms to promote your studio's participation.
If you have any questions, please contact Kirk Shannon-Butts, Public Art & Curation Manager, at KSButts@promotionandarts.org.